Sat, Mar 30|
Pre-K 4 SA - North Education Center
Teaching S.T.E.M. with Outdoor Materials (Free)
Creating a sustainable, educated workforce is dependent on the teacher’s ability to provide experiences, opportunities, resources, and contexts that provoke, stimulate, and support young children’s innate curiosity about the world around them.
Time & Location
Mar 30, 2019, 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Pre-K 4 SA - North Education Center, 3635 Medical Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
About the event
Participants will be able to:
- Clarify benefits of engaging children in STEM activities through outdoor learning experiences
- Determine methods to intentionally include nature-based learning into curriculum
- Facilitate learning using natural materials
- Discover creative uses for repurposed or found materials
- Preview a high quality outdoor learning space
- Receive eight CPE hours upon completion of two sessions
- Lisa Daly and Miriam Beloglvsky, Loose Parts: Inspiring Play in Young Children, Red Leaf Press, 2015.
- Juliet Robertson, Dirty Teaching, Independent Thinking Press, 2014.
- Juliet Robertson, Messy Maths, Independent Thinking Press, 2017.
- Angi Stone-MacDonald, Kristen Wendell, Anne Douglass, &Mary Lu Love, Engaging Young Engineers, Brookes Publishing Company, 2015.
- Betty Zen & Rosemary Geake, Ramps and pathways: Developmentally appropriate, intellectually rigorous, and fun physical science, Young Children, 2010.
- North American Association for Environmental Education, Early Childhood Environmental Education Programs: Guidelines for Excellence.